Everybody is fully aware of Pulses and why not? Pulses play a vital role in completing our daily diet without which a healthy and balanced nutrition is incomplete necessary for our body. The pulses are the part of the legumes and their dried edible seeds are classified as ‘Pulses’. Pulses form a large and vast family and available in multiple types which are cultivated under diverse climatic conditions.
Why Pulses are important?
Pulses are the rich source of protein and low fat fibers. It is composed of different types of nutrients, vitamins and minerals necessary for the healthy growth of our body. Most researches support that regular intake of at least ½ cup of pulses results in healthy body as you get different types of nutrients and minerals and fibers in adequate quantity.
Different varieties of pulses possess numerous health benefits and necessary for our body. The major health benefits of consuming Pulses include:
- Pulses are considered as the rich source of various nutrients and minerals that promotes healthy growth.
- Being good source of dietary fibers and other carbohydrates, Pulses regulates weight management, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Pulses also aids in promoting healthy digestion.
- Pulses are the excellent source of proteins which is necessary for the overall growth and development.
- Regular intake of Pulses may lower the risk of cardiovascular and other chronic diseases.
- They are good source of iron, thus, enough intake is necessary to prevent risk of iron deficient diseases like anemia
- Pulses are low fat nutrition thus greatly help in weight loss and are also good source of Folate which is beneficial in maintaining and renew blood cells.
- Pulses can be beneficial for diabetic people to control insulin levels and may prevent cancer due to having anti-cancer properties.
Common Varieties of Pulses
Pulses constitute a large family and include lentils, beans and Dry peas. Pulses are good source of health promoting nutrients and minerals and so it’s different kinds too. Pulses are categorized on the basis of characteristics into four types:
Lentils are lens shaped dried edible seeds of the legume family. The best part of lentils is that they are cooked in much lesser time and does not require overnight soaking. They include rich flavor and taste and also great health promoters.
Lentils are excellent source of proteins, iron, and other major minerals and nutrients best for health growth. They are beneficial for heart health and growth, low in saturated fats and enhance the energy. Their multiple heart benefits make it the best ingredient to include in your daily diet.
Types of Lentils
Lentils are majorly of 4 types and can be differentiated easily on the basis of their color:
1. Brown Lentils: These are commonly used variety in major countries. They carry mild and earthy flavor and act as a natural thickener. These lentils are best for including in salads, casseroles, soups and stews and also in veggie burgers.
2. Green Lentils: Green lentils are also commonly used type but they take maximum time in cooking out of all other varieties. They have slightly peppery flavor and fine texture. These lentils are available in multiple sizes. It is ideal for use in salads and soups due to its strong flavor.
3. Red Lentils: Red lentils are widely available in grocery stores and major consumed. These lentils take very less cooking time. This variety carry sweet and nutty flavor making it best for curries, soups, stews and as sprouted for breakfast. They are available in both full and split form. Because of its best flavor and texture, forms best served dish with rice.
4. Yellow Lentils: It is very similar to red lentils in taste and flavor but carries bright yellow color. Many wonderful dishes and delicious Indian Dal recipes can be prepared using it.
Specialty Lentils: It is majorly of 2 types: Black Beluga Lentils and Puy Lentils.
- Beluga Lentils: These have rich and earthy flavor and are very nutritious. Due to fine flavor and texture, used for salads and many other dishes.
- Puy Lentils: These have rich and peppery flavor. It is widely used for making base for meat and fish and in salads too.
Beans are the major part of the legume family. These are grown in long pods having more than one bean inside and are in oval or kidney shape. Like Lentils, Beans are also great source of proteins, fibers and other minerals and nutrients necessary for the healthy body. There are many varieties of beans which are consumed in different parts of the world.
Types of Beans
Beans are great source of proteins, heart healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, complex carbohydrates, fibers and different minerals which are necessary for the healthy body. Some of the major beans include:
Kidney Beans: Well known red colored beans with white on inside. These beans have mild flavor and widely used to cook North Indian curries and in salads.
Great Northern Beans: These are white colored beans highly rich in Calcium and have nutty flavor and low density. Due to its strong flavor and light texture, these are ideal for using in soups, stews and purees.
Chickpeas: These are also known as garbanzo beans and most commonly consumed. This type of beans is round in shape, starchy texture and have nutty flavor. Chickpeas are of two types: Firstly in white color also called as Kabuli Chana and larger in size. Second is smaller, dark brown in color and generally grow in India, called as Desi Chana.
Mung Beans: Green colored beans with white strips on top which are widely consumed. These beans have mild flavor and best used as sprouted beans for healthy breakfast bowls and in salads and soups. They are found in different forms like as a whole dried beans and in split form called as Mung dal.
Black Eyed Peas: These beans have black spot in the middle, naming it as ‘Black Eyed Peas’. These peas are rich in protein, folate and other nutrients.
Black Beans: These beans are mild, sweet and creamy in flavor. Due to its very delicious taste and flavor, these are ideal to use in soups, salads, Indian curries and many other endless dishes.
Many more different varieties of beans exist that are highly rich in health promoting nutrients and consumed in multiple ways in different regions. Some other beans are Adzuki beans, Fava Beans, Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Navy Beans, Cannellini Beans, Cranberry Beans, and Pink Beans, Moth Beans and many more…
These are another type of Pulses which are small and round in shape. Peas are of two types: Whole Green Peas and Whole White Peas found in both whole and split forms. These dry peas are widely used to make famous ‘Ragda Pattice’ and different delicious soups and curry recipes. Peas are peeled from their fresh pods and then dried.
Dal is referred to as split forms of different types of pulses like peas, lentils and beans. These are used to make different and delicious curry recipes.
Difference between Lentils, Beans and Peas
|Scientific Name||Lens culinaris||Pisum sativum||Phaseolus vulgaris|
|Size||Smaller in size||Comparatively large||Largest among all|
|Shape||Flattened and Lens shaped||Round||Oval or Kidney shaped|
|Soaking Time||Very Less or no time||At least 8 to 10 hours for perfect softening||Requires overnight time|
|Retain Shape||Difficult to keep the original shape on cooking||Likely to keep the shape when cooked||Mostly retain the shape after cooking|
Pulses categorization on the basis of physical appearance
Different types of Pulses carry different shapes and sizes. These are found in 3 different forms:
- Whole dried Pulse
- Split with skin on
- Split with peeled skin
Top Pulses Brands on Our Store
Pulses are available in almost all countries and widely consumed in multiple forms. Various national and international food companies make these pulses available in different forms like dried pulse seeds, ready to make recipes, canned, frozen and many other for the ease of customers. Some topmost brands supplying Pulses include:
IAG Foods: This is home brand of Indo-Asian Grocery Store based in Australia and is popularly known as IAG Foods. We supply different varieties of pulses in dried form with perfect packaging. Our prime motto is to satisfy our customers with providing best quality and fresh products to our customer and this has made us the most popular brand in Australia.
Tamek: It is a Turkish based food company supplying different types of food products. They supply different types of Pulses in Boiled form in canned packaging.
La Costena: It is the topmost company in Mexico specializing in producing finest quality packaged canned food products.
Teasdale: It is very popular brand to supply highly nutritious and top quality ready to use food products for the ease of customers.
Pulses are most common and healthy ingredient that is used in multiple forms in various regions of the world. Whether in vegetarian or Non Vegetarian recipes, pulses play a vital role. All types of pulses are easily available at local and online grocery stores in different forms.
Indo-Asian Grocery Store is very popular online grocery store in Australia that endeavors to provide top quality grocery products belonging to multiple local and international brands at best affordable rates. We have wide-ranging varieties of pulses and lentils at our store that will help you to find the perfect option for your cooking. Pick the suitable Lentils
and pulses on our store and continue cooking delicious and healthy recipes.