Cooking oil reserves the most common and important place in our kitchen racks. Everything from roasting vegetables to salad dressing or preparing any other dish and flavoring, cooking oil is vital. Our health is fully dependent on our diet. The food we consume must be healthy and nutritious in order to maintain a healthy diet. It can be done if we are consuming right amount of ingredients in balanced quantities. In this list, cooking oil is also plays a vital role as it is consumed in wider quantity in different manner.
There are great many types of cooking oils which are extracted from different plant sources, nuts, seeds, legumes and grains. Cooking oil contains a lot of fats some are good and some are not. Thus, it is necessary to choose right kind of oil which has all the necessary nutrients and good fats that are beneficial for our heart health. Fats are necessary for body as they help in energy generation, digestion and many other activities but in definite quantity. Excessive consumption of fats may lead to adverse effects on heart and overall health.
How to choose right kind of Oil
Oil is rich in different types of fats but which one to choose is essential.
- The oils that contain Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fats are good for heart health and reduce risk of heart disease and can be consumed while the oils that contain Saturated fats should be avoided for best health.
- Healthy oils are those which are full of heart- healthy fats. The oil extracted from plant based sources like nuts, seeds, avocados, Olives and many more that are also rich in heart healthy fats are good for controlling the levels of cholesterol in blood and risk of heart diseases.
- The oil which is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids is best for heart as it fights against inflammation and upholds normal blood cholesterol levels in blood, thereby reducing risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Some oils which are rich in monounsaturated fats are very good for heart because these fatty acids help in low oil absorption in food which makes the food light and easily digestible.
- Oryzanol is a component in oil which is known for reducing bad cholesterol and enhancing good cholesterol in body.
- The cooking oils that are good source of vitamins (A, D and E) are great for overall health development and nutritious.
- Oils extracted from Cold and Hot pressing techniques do not involve additional chemical solvents and so retain original taste , flavors, nutrients and antioxidants and nutritionally better than refined oils(involve extra processing for extraction). But these oils are somewhat costlier than refined oils.
These are few important factors which are necessary to keep in mind while selecting the cooking oil for the better health of your family.
Best choice of cooking oils
We have already gone through few tips which are mandatory to follow while choosing the oil and according to their beneficial facts; here is list of few cooking oils which are ideal for maintaining good heart health and overall body.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is the well known and most reputed oil for maintaining healthy body. It is also very versatile oil for cooking and eating. Olive oil is extracted from pressing fresh olives and the product that originates from first pressing is called Extra Virgin Olive oil. This oil is fully pure, best in taste and natural flavor and nice aroma. When oil is refined then it is termed as Pure Oil or Light Olive Oil. This also has most of the same health promoting factors but have mild flavor. The Olive oil contains:
- Large amount of monounsaturated heart-healthy fats
- Rich in antioxidants which are helpful to fight against inflammation and reducing heart disease risks
Best for: Pure Olive oil (Refined) is good for low or medium heat cooking because of having lower smoke point and it starts degrading at high heat temperatures. That is why extra virgin Olive oil is ideal for cold dishes flavoring, salad dressing and dips.
2. Avocado Oil
Avocado Oil is also very good for heart health due to having higher percentage of healthy monounsaturated fats that is Oleic acid or Omega 9 fatty acids. These are good for cardiovascular health and lowering bad cholesterol levels. Due to having rich in nutrients, it is good for overall health.
The oil has mild flavor and creamy texture and has some percent of Saturated fats thus can also be used in place of butter, if someone requires a healthy option.
Best for: Avocado oil has high smoking point which makes it ideal for high heat cooking and can be easily used for frying, sautéing, baking, roasting and grilling. It is also used for flavoring and salad dressings.
3. Canola Oil
The oil is extracted from rapeseed flowering plant and has higher amount of monounsaturated fats and portions of the polyunsaturated fats. It has good component of Alpha-Linolenic acid omega-3 fatty acids and it is very important in our healthy diet. The fatty acid is good for maintaining good heart health by regulating blood sugar and cholesterol levels in control and reducing inflammation which are the major cause of heart diseases. Being very low in saturated fats, it can be used as an alternate for several unhealthy solid fats.
Best for: Canola Oil has high smoke point so it can be used for high medium heat cooking like sautéing, baking, grilling and frying. It has light flavor and smooth texture which makes it ideal for cooking several different dishes.
- Can also be used for salad dressing and preparing marinades and sauces
4. Sesame Oil
Sesame Oil is extracted from small Sesame seeds and is very good for heart. Sesame oil is composed of large amount of unsaturated fatty acids that are considered best for heart health. The oil is highly rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and has monounsaturated fats that are helpful for reducing cell damage and controlling blood cholesterol levels. That is the reason, it is known for best oil for heart health. The oil is also wonderful source of Omega-6 fatty acids which is essential for preventing cardiovascular diseases and promoting good health.
For best health benefits, it is recommended to select cold pressed or organic sesame oil that involve very less processing.
Best for: Sesame Oil has high nutty flavor and mid range smoke point which makes it ideal for high heat cooking like stir frying and sautéing. It is also used to add flavor to the dishes because of best taste.
5. Peanut Oil
Peanut oil is also great cooking oil for health. The oil is primarily high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that help to lower bad cholesterol levels. The Oil is extracted from Peanuts and has good source of Vitamin E which is considered as natural antioxidant and thus helpful in preventing cell damage and various chronic diseases. Due to its health promoting properties and low cholesterol levels, it may reduce risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Best For: Peanut Oil has high smoke point so it is ideal for high heat cooking like in deep frying, roasting, grilling and sautéing. The oil have different flavor that varies according to the level of processing from mild to strong and nutty flavor.
Tip: If someone is allergic to Peanuts, then they should avoid Peanut oil. These are few cooking oils which must be consumed in your daily diet to stay healthy and having good heart health. All these cooking oils are easily available in the local and online grocery stores in various forms like organic and refined. The only difference is in their pricing and nutritive value. The organic and less processed oils are best for health as their nutrients are fully retained and essential for the body.
We are Australian based online grocery store that endeavors to supply best quality food products of different local and international brands to the consumers all over Australia at best affordable price. We have wide ranging Cooking oil options on our store that the customer can easily search for and order at cost effective rates. Just get your list ready and order the most suitable and healthy oil to stay healthy and cooking delicious dishes.